Saturday 21 February 2009

Atomizer

Post mortem reference to an Australian band whose work came to my knowledge when they didn't exist anymore.

Atomizer was a thrash/black metal band that was active from 1998 untill 2008, recorded 3 LP's and several EP's. Personaly, although I was aware of their existence, I didn't show any interest to them because of my general dislike to the thrash/black metal idiom. It was only a couple of weeks ago that their swansong Caustic Music For The Spiritually Bankrupt came into my attention and left me stunned.

My first notice on the record would be that the thrash/black metal tag is very restrictive to their music and doesn't do them justice. Thrash metal is the base on which Atomizer build their sonicscsapes but the ingridients they use vary and are cleverly blent together to create a dark, thoughtful and esoteric result that is trully amazing. The weirdness of mid era Voivod, the darkness of early 80's new wave-post punk-gothic rock and an aura of Into the Pandemonium lead to an amazing result and form one of the best records I've listened for the last couple of years. I can't recomend this album enough.

It is always sad when worthy artists end their career, when on their creative peack and with such a promising work of art, but at least they choose to close the chapter with a really fitting and glorious epitaph. For me this a chance to dive into their previous works.

Glory to thee, mighty Atomizer.