Monday 28 December 2009

The voice of steel

I always thought that the idea of mixing folk tunes with any kind of metal is ridiculous, to say the least. Thus I was never interested in bands like Nokturnal Mortum, although I remember having fond memories of their Lunar Poetry demo/cd as it was a good example of quality symphonic metal. A friend of mine handed me their new album asking my opinion about it as he thought that I would find it to be interesting.

I could say that The Voice of Steel is more of a folk rock inspired album than a folk metal one and for that I am grateful. The prog rock interlude in Valkyrie is the first sign of very interesting things to come. Such influences, be it folk rock or space rock, are scattered all over the songs. Most of the folk melodies are cheerful and for me this is a let down.    
Besides that, what remains is enough to keep the interest of an 'outsider' like me, running until the end of the record.
I'm not sure that I'm going to be listening the LP in the future. Most probably not. What's for sure though,  is that I had a pleasant time listening to this and for a sceptic like me this is enough.



Currently listening:
Nihill - Grond
Deiphago - Filipino Antichrist
Todtgelichter - Schemen
Shever - Ocean Of Illusion
Yaoyotl - Tecuicuiquehualiztli (Ce) (Seriously, this is so clumsy that seems unbelievably charming)
Aldebaran - Dwellers in Twilight
Opium Warlords - Live at Colonia Dignidad


Currently enjoying:
All those sites or blogs that are adorned with pentagrams and upsidedown crosses, that are so fucking evil that are full of 'happy holidays' and 'merry christmas' crap wishes.

Die.