Wednesday 21 October 2009

Glory, glory Jon Nodtveidt




"... I don't necessarily "like" Jon as a human being, as he was an asshole, Satanic douche, and convicted murderer. But as a musician, the man was brilliant. he formed Dissection at the ripe old age of 14, and recorded their two finest albums between the ages of 18 and 20.Quite simply, The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane are two of the best fucking black metal albums ever made, packed with equal amounts of both demonic hatred and epic, Wagnerian bombast."

 I found the above statement posted on some blog. Who says those thinks is not important as it is a reflection of a common attitude towards music and especially black metal, that I find annoying. I believe that a person that creates anything that may be a work of art, is absolutely attached to his creation. I mean that a creation and it's creator's personality, character, beliefs, attitude or further actions are connected and cannot be separated. This applies more in a subculture like black metal. Statements like "I like black metal and I like this guys' music, but I don't like him cause he was a scumbug and a satanist" are more ridiculous than the old joke "I read the Playboy magazine just for the articles". Black metal is not mindless entertainment and most of all, it is satanic by it's very nature. It's not anywhere near music styles like rock'n'roll or anything like that. Of course anyone can listen to the music they like for the reasons they like but a profound knowledge of the basis of any kind of music, is what makes a listener into a participant.
I can see that it is hard to understand a person that has strong and real beliefs and is ready and brave enough to turn those beliefs into action. After all, we are leaving in times that talk is cheap (actually it's for free) and anyone can say whatever he wishes without having to prove how serious he is about that. In that context the person that sung "Jai Kalika! Jai Kali! Without fear I will dance with death and misery Maha Kali, come to me" and make his lyric into reality, seems like a freak in the eyes of the many that choose to talk safe.
Also it is hardly a surprise that such people fail to see the magnificence of Reinkaos. I quote from the same post "After making these two albums, Nodtveidt was convicted of the aforementioned murder, went to prison for a few years, was released in 2003, made a terrible "comeback" album (2006's Reinkaos), and then finally offed himself for Satan in the middle of a ring of a candles at the age of 31"... That's right puppy, Reinkaos is a terrible record. Also black metal is not for anyone.
_______________________________________________________


Seriously struck (again) for the last two days by Holly Terror's Mind Wars 21 or 22 years after I first heard it. And No Resurrection has to be one of the 10 best thrash metal songs I have ever heard. Also have been listening Skeptiks Apocalypse by Agent Steel. Way too much speed/power metal for my tastes but nevertheless worthy, led by a genius like John Cyriis for whom I urge everyone to investigate a little further. Of course most of the people will find him to be another freak. Let them be ignorant.