Saturday 3 January 2009

Tickets to hell


As if anyone cares,I will post a list of the records that moved me the most during the past year. I'm not sure that they were released in 2008 but this is not important for me.

Deathspell Omega "Chaining the Katechon" One track worthy of a whole album. I really liked "Fas Ite ..." but I also found it to be one level behind the unsurpassed "Si Monvmentvm ...". Still it was head and shoulders above all competition as this is the band that defines the black metal agenda the last four years or so. The new (split) EP is kind of a return to great songcrafting and maybe the best song of the band after Carnal Malefactor. This is achieving darkness through art.

S.V.E.S.T. "Le Diable est Ma Raison" DSO had a worthy comrade on their attack. S.V.E.S.T.  remains a unique entity in the bm underground, stubborn and stable on their characteristic sound. Listening to the discography of the band one could say that there is no progression on their style, sound or technique. Still few are the bands that have the talent to compose great SONGS that are distinct and comprise  excellent albums.

Ofermod's "Tiamtu" was obviously the most expected album of the underground for the last year. With the expectations being so high,reaching them was, by definition, a difficult task for the band. This is not the best bm album ever (as it was proclaimed by Belfagor), still it is a great work that should be enough to bring darkness and fire in the dedicated listener's heart.And again given time one discovers that there are great SONGS here that make an album that can be listened as a whole (as all albums should be listened) still every song is complete by itself.

Caïna "Temporary Antennae". I can't define the reason but I was preoccupied in a negative way with Caïna before hearing a single note by them/him. When I listened to the latest album I totally changed my mind and searched (and found) all it's previous works. No much words needed here, this is music that if you are worthy, takes you for a unique journey. 

Rebirth of Nefast & Slidhr "Ex nihilio". Plain and simple, one of the best black metal releases not only for the last year. 

Nightbringer "Death and the black work" A monster. Shame of me that I just recently discovered the band.

WRNLD "Oneiromantical War". Cold, devoid of humane emotions. Masterpiece.

Trees "Light's Bane". Harsh, extreme drone/doom. Brings a burden on my soul.

Skepticism "Alloy". One of my favorite funeral doom bands. That's enough for me, should be enough for any dark soul.

Esoteric "The maniacal vale". The devouring darkness.

Jarboe "MahaKali". Grand dame. I follow blindly.

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds "Dig Lazarus Dig". The same as Jarboe,applies here. Just to have a record out is reason enough to be in my year's favourites. Like an old friend to whom I turn no matter how many years passed from our last meeting. And it has been long.

There were many more records that brought me joy. Given time and if I'm not lazy enough I will give a word or two in the future. 

AMSG