Monday 28 September 2009

For in much wisdom is much grief ...

... and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. (Ecclesiastes 1:18)

What a wonderfull saying, so much typical of what a religion as the christian would adopt and teach to it's flock. So, sheep better stay in the dark and be happy. Knowledge is bad for you.


Godkiller from Monaco exist from 1994. Their first EP The Rebirth of the Middle Ages was a mediocre exercise in the then popular black metal vein. Nothing special in my opinion. Where things became serious was the first LP The End of the World in 1998. The guy took a path similar to Samael's of Ceremony of Opposites. This was a record I realy liked back in the day.
The second proper album was Deliverance. When it came out in 2000 I wasn't so much interested in music and didn't really have the patience to give a second listen. The first one had disappointed me as the electronica influence was too much for my liking. Nine years after, after serious and repetitive hearing the record's magnificence really stroked me. The music goes several steps towards electronic and experimental territory. To my ears is sounds like what would come out of the fornication of Samael with mid period Apoptygma Berzerk and Monumentum's In Absentia Christi. The lyrics are excerpts from the old testament hence the beginning of the present post. Recommended listening for those with eyes to see. 

Griftegård's Solemn, Sacred, Severe is as great a record as I had expected it to be. This is the band whose first EP renewed my somewhat faded interest in doom metal. I guess what makes their music so special is the amazing vocals. No more words needed, this is as good as doom can ever be.


Pills:
Griftegård's Solemn, Sacred, Severe
Godkiller's Deliverance
Mortuary Drape's Doom Return (Demo 1989)
Code's Resplendent Grotesque
Alice in Chains' Black Gives Way To Blue
Merrimack's Grey Rigorism
Elhaz's Goetic Experience
True Blood TV series

AMSG