Wednesday 20 January 2010

Fucking black winds




Usually I avoid writing about an album after my first listening of it.The cases where the enthusiastic first impression, dissolves after further listening, aren't rare. On the contrary, rare are the cases when the first listening of an album leaves me with my jaw hanging near the floor. Such is the case with the cd in question.
Charnel Winds are not an unknown name to me. I had listened both their demos Stigma Prior Nefastvm and I.I.I. and they were a band I had under consideration for any future release. A band that shares members with some of Finland's most interesting forces like Blood Red Fog, Utgard and above all my favourite Verge. A band that produced some of the most interesting occult black metal of the recent years. And now, a band that surpasses any other band coming from Finland.
Der Teufelsbund is an album(?) that was first (and last) mentioned on the band's web site in 2005. A friend of mine gave me a cd a couple of days ago, among others he thought I should listen to. I don't know if this is out or when it is going to be released. I don't even know if this is an official LP or a demo or whatever. What I know is that this is possibly the best black metal I'll listen in the coming months. It certainly has the distinctive aura of a band coming from Finland, but it also has a personal touch that comes from the obvious talent and inspiration of the band and not from any stupid 'innovative' idea. Using elements from traditional heavy metal, especially on the slower parts and on the leads, gives to Der Teufelsbund a charm that bewitches even a listener like myself that doesn't particularly like plain heavy metal. I don't want to write more about it. I don't have the words to describe the magnificence of  Der Teufelsbund. This is the real black metal. The ones with ears to hear, will proceed. The rest will remain stuck to Immortal. Even if this clowns would never dream of writing a song like Chained Kumâra.
Η ΓΝΩΣΗ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΟΣΟΥΣ ΤΗΝ ΑΞΙΖΟΥΝ.

The rest...
SubArachnoid Space - Eight Bells
Abigor - Time Is the Sulphur in the Veins of the Saint
Manierisme - Manierisme
Middian - Age Eternal
Sigh - Scenes From Hell
Vulcano - -Five Skulls and One Chalice

AMSG