Monday 17 May 2010

The horny and the horned

Watain are soon to unleash their fourth spell and I am catching myself to be in great and unusual anticipation. Usually I am fairly relaxed when expecting a new release, no matter how important the artist or band is for me. Of course there are often many works that I'm looking forward listening to, but it's not like I'm counting the days until the release date.The obvious exceptions to the rule are Deathspell Omega and Celtic Frost (then) and Triptykon (now), at least within the general black metal field. And now Watain. The talent and devotion of the band is only to be admired and never questioned. The way the band is handling its transition from the underground to the more exposed field of general extreme music is also commendable. The cases of artists that are breaking the shell and protected environment of the underground and are still sincere and not compromised are so few, that are making Watain's case even more interesting. In fact Watain's success acts as an experiment. Can a band be popular while still maintaining it's artistic integrity, strict faith to its ideals and stay focused to its cause? So far the results are feeding my high hopes.  
I heard the Reaping Death single and recently preordered the limited edition of Lawless Darkness and my eagerness and curiosity is ever growing. One can never draw any conclusion from listening to a 7'' single containing only one new song. So I will not attempt to voice any opinion on what I think the album will be based on Reaping Death. I also will not take under consideration the first reviews of those that have heard the album, as the opinions of others does not interest me. I will only comment on the choice of the two covers the band opted to record. The spirit of Bathory was always present in Watain's music. I just hope that the spirit of Death SS will poison the well of the band's inspiration for good. This will be a great thing to happen. I am also curious of Carl McCoy's participation on one track of the album. The omens are showing that horrible things are upon us. Feeble humans take heed.       



Moving to the exact opposite side...

 On the lighter side of things, everyone's favorite gay metal boys Keep of Kalessin have a new record out. Their hair are looking great as always so I see no reason why the album should not be a masterpiss of fagot music. It's hilarious though that the general borders of the so called extreme metal (ha) can host bands that refuse to compromise like Watain and pitiful stains like the above pictured abomination.    


Tearing Kalessin's anus...
Anatomia - Dissected Humanity
Axis of Advance - Strike
Quinta Essentia - Archetypal Transformation
Damaar - Triumph Through Spears of Sacrilege
Nightbringer - Apocalypse Sun
Talking Heads - Little Creatures
Dinner auf Uranos - 50 Sommer-50 Winter